I read in the church newsletter this week about a day called "Rachel's Day" which began in 1996 in Bethel West church in Chicago.
Its name comes from Jeremiah 31:15-17 wherein Rachel mourns for her children--refusing to be comforted because "they are no more."
The Lord speaks to her and says "refrain your voice from weeping, and your eyes from tears; for your work shall be rewarded, stays the Lord. And they shall come back from the enemy. There is hope in your future, says the Lord, that your children shall come back to their own border."
I'm embarrassed to admit that I don't know much about Rachel as a Biblical character. I don't know if her children were dead, or if they were just "lost" in the world, but this passage speaks to me regardless. It's a good reminder that while as mothers we'll be worrying and crying over our children be they lost, astray or just facing the hazards of the world--they are not alone, and God is watching over them, ready to lead them back.
Hang in there parents--remember, you're not in this alone--the Heavenly Father is in charge.
This passage also reminds me of all the children who don't have parents--that they aren't as alone as it looks like. He watches over them as well, and while we're responsible for doing all that we can to care for the orphans of the world, perhaps the most important thing that we can do is make sure they know that He is there for them and that he is there to lead them back and protect them from the world.
Something to think about.
1 comment:
So true. I find comfort as a parent in Isaiah 54. Which speaks of the barren woman (vs.1-3 are special to me)...now that we have had the pleasure of parenting multiple children, and adopting our son, I find comfort in verse 13. The Lord will teach our children, regardless of where we are.
Post a Comment