Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Bollywood Time

Back in January, we joined the local YMCA. The kids and I signed up for a Bollywood Fitness class, and it is a blast!

If you aren't familiar with Bollywood, "bollywood" is a nickname given to Mumbai, in India, the location of the largest film studios in the world--Yes, India makes more movies than the USA.

The "Bollywood" genre of movies is typically super-long action/romance/musicals. Most movies run 3+ hours, and are in either Hindi or Punjabi, but available with English dubbing or subtitles. I've seen a few recently that were really good--I recommend "Singh is Kinng" and "I hate luv stories [sic]" as well as "What's your Rashee."

Periodically the YMCA has community open house events, and earlier this month, our Bollywood Fitness class was asked to perform for an audience.

Here's each of our three dances via Youtube. My girls are up front by the teacher wearing traditional Indian Salwar Kameze gowns.





No comments: