Monday, December 8, 2008

Taking the plunge

So as I posted before, Thursday I lost my job. The economy has hit the construction industry especially hard, so while I was surprised, it wasn't exactly shocked.

This may be the answer to my prayers. Ever since becoming a parent, I've wondered how I can be the kind of parent I want to be (like my parents were) and yet have a job or career at the same time. I'd especially like to be self-employed, though if I find the right job with the right company I wouldn't complain either.

We're not in dire straights and can make it for a good long while without the 2nd income, it was really more about meeting our charitable goals and college savings for the kids, and less about meeting day-to-day expenses.

While I'm still looking for a possible "perfect job" I have decided to take the plunge and follow my parent's entrepreneural footsteps. I applied for a business liscence and now am the sole-proprieter of "A Notary Now!" a mobile notary company.

I've been a notary for several years, but I've never charged anyone for my services. I'm also planning to do some freelance writing (I've done this before and *loved* it!). I'm also going to be volunteering more--with my kids' school, and within the adoption community.

Cross your fingers for me for some good notary business. I'll be doing a lot of financial, adoption and construction type documents, so if you know anyone in these industries, please direct them my way.

No comments: