Saturday, December 20, 2008

Happy Holidays from the Wards



See the link above for our Xmas greeting. Be sure to turn up your speakers (especially if you're at work). :)


We're encountering our first 'blizzard' the likes of which I haven't seen since the early 1990s.


The kids and I haven't left the house since Tuesday. Rob's working two days on with one day off (where he sleeps and then spends hours trying to get back to work to work two or three more shifts because so many people are having a hard time getting to work where he works).


We were getting stir crazy, so today we walked to the Kent Valley Ice Center for a hamburger. While there, we ran into my good friend Joan (a hockey friend) who invited our kids to have photos with "hockey Santa." Now mind you, today is braid day. I'd just undone the kids hair and poor Destiny looked like a troll doll, but we wanted to go eat before we got started on hair. Anyhow, we were convinced to have the kids' photos taken with Santa (perfect now that I see the weather forecast, there is no way we'd be able to get the kids out to see Santa before Xmas).


Melat saw Santa and freaked out screaming "NO COCA COLA" (She confuses Santa Claus and Coca Cola for some reason). I ended up in the photo because I had to hold screaming little Melat into it. "Santa" in an effort to help Destiny to calm her sister, pulled down his beard and said "see, I'm just a regular guy, tell her not to be afraid." Destiny says "never mind, and backs out of the sled, now also tearing up at the thought that Santa was not in fact Santa, but a fraud, and "just a regular guy." Her worst fears confirmed. Santa may just be dad.


Now poor "Santa" is totally perplexed, why are both kids upset? Well, Melat has never seen a guy with a white beard like that, and just barely understands the whole American Christmas thing, and Destiny truly believed in Santa Claus and he just dashed her faith. Now, in Santa's defense, what kind of five foot tall kid still believes in Santa? Well, mine did. I was thinking this might be the year to explain, but I was going to just put it on my calendar and explain it around Valentine's day. She's had a lot of other disappointments in her life the past couple of years and taking Santa away never seemed like a good idea.


Well, this fairly hilarious photo resulted. We all look kind of like snowmen because for the one-mile walk to eat lunch in an ice rink we dressed in layers. Santa gave the kids oranges and candy canes, for which both kids were very thankful, and we all had a delightful afternoon break.


Thanks Joan and "Hockey Santa" for the excitement. :)


Over lunch, I explained to Melat how Santa's a nice guy.... and then double-checked myself realizing that Santa does his primary business by breaking and entering to six billion homes in one night... but perhaps I'm over thinking this?


Merry Christmas All!

4 comments:

Kelly Coughlan said...

Funny--thanks for telling the stories--they're great!

Anonymous said...

How sad Santa had to spoil the whole Santa Claus thing! My kids believed in Santa I think until their early teens. They had their doubts but, when a neighbor kid told them there was no Santa and that mom and dad put the presents under the tree after they'd gone to sleep, I said (very seriously) that I'm way too pooped at the end of every day and when I go to bed, even on Christmas eve, I don't get up in the middle of the night to do Santa's job. I remember the look on his face like "Really?" I told him I didn't know what went on at his house on Christmas eve but I slept through the night so Santa came to our house. The girls believed every word of it too - they know what a sound sleeper I am! Have a terrific Christmas!

Kelly Coughlan said...

You "elves" just CRACK ME UP!!! I think I've watched this about ten times now and will watch it some more. Hilarious!

Sari said...

Wow Jess! I had no idea you could move like that!!