Thursday, January 22, 2009

Work-from-Home success!




Many of you know that back in early December I was laid off from my regular job. This truly was a blessing in disquise. I've spent more time with the kids over the holidays, and I tried something I've always wanted to do. I started a business. The first day after my layoff, I filed my business license for "A Notary Now" which is a mobile notary service. I was profitable in four weeks.

I'd planned to do the mobile notary thing while looking for another 9-5 type job, but in all of my free time, I remembered how much I used to love writing (in the years B.C.--before children). Rob suggested that since we didn't need to have two full-time incomes, that I pursue writing and my mobile notary work as my full time occupation.

Six weeks later, I already have regular freelance writing projects, and my online identity at www.jessicaward.me.

I'm having the time of my life, and not sacrificing anything for it. Why didn't I do this sooner? Fear perhaps.

I'm pulling more weight around the house. Now six weeks later, my kids no longer ask "Does dad know you're cooking?" when they discover me in the kitchen. They were even terribly impressed with a spagetti casserole that I "invented" from leftovers.

My only gripe about working at home is that I do have the worst secretary that I've ever experienced. Arthur, Destiny's orange tabby cat has become my work at home sidekick. The highlight of his day is printing time. He sits by the edge of the printer and tackles all forms of manuscript that erupt forth. He files badly, but types worse, but his occaional scolding glare (which I'm sure is his way of telling me "get back to work") when my mind wanders is worth its weight in kibble.

When I work from my cozy "thinking chair" (Great Grandma Dever's old swivel rocker) he perches on the back of the chair and keeps me on task. He likes it when I sit there becuase if he sits on the back of the chair when nobody is in it, it tips over.

He's my deadweight and I'm his. At least it's company during the long quiet days at home when Rob sleeps and kids learn at school.

Yesterday Destiny and I assembled and mailed my marketing postcards for my notary business. 250 of them in all--I've already gotten phone calls about them. God Bless the USPS! Today I'm going to update my Web pages and blogs (you can also find me at www.pennywisefamily.blogspot.com where I write a family finance blog). Take care!

No comments: