Yesterday we went out to dinner at the neighborhood Greek Place. We love Spiro's Gyros. They're yummy! The kids like the place too, and it's always clean.
I was taking Melat to the bathroom for the umpteenth time (she had a tummy ache I think) As she sat parked on the John, she was counting--one, two, three. She was couting the "papers" being the seat liners, hand towels, and the toilet paper.
She pensively said "Mommy, I know this is America Bathroom." I said "Oh really?"
"Yes mommy" she said "America three papers in Bathroom. Ethiopia bathroom has NO PAPERS!"
I couldn't help but chuckle--I remember desperate times during our travel searching for "appropriate" paper--even the US Embassay in Ethiopia didn't have toilet paper in the bathrooms. (I thought really hard about those unused visa papers in my passport, let me tell you!).
Anyhow, had to share that story for others who may be traveling. Pack your own TP!
jessica
4 comments:
Check. I know I don't need to be told twice; it's on my list! Thanks Melat!
Same deal in China...no not really...some bathrooms have toilet paper...on the OUTSIDE. Yep. You have to get it BEFORE you go in. I never left without my travel kleenex for just such occasions...packs nicer than tp.
Just FYI in case you ever go again. Just sayin'!
Thanks for the prayers for me and esp. for W. God is faithful!
I think I need some more pics of the girls on this here blog!!! ;+)
Bad news... my camera broke!! I had some GREAT photos too.... I'm totally bummed. I've got a few on my cell phone that maybe I can move over but cell phones are always so bad. I'm saving up for a new camera and in the meantime bumming photos of my kids off friends and family... Hear that Grandpa Rick? :) I know I saw a camera.... on your last visit to the Ward pad... Please email photos!
I've got a video camera, but I'm having trouble getting my Digital Video to work right in Vista. You would think being "self/un-employed" I'd have oodles of time for fixing this stuff, but somehow I always manage to fill up the time. :-S
Melat is very observant for being so young. That obviously stuck in her brain; I wonder as she ages whether she'll remember the other inconveniences she lived with in Ethopia. As adults, when we travel abroad, we can come home and appreciate the abundance we have in this country. But for a small child to notice is amazing.
Post a Comment