Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Update from our house


Today was Melat's first doctor's appointment. Just a "well baby" but since she doesn't come with an owners manual and maintenance checklist, we've got to get her caught up on everything. This meant five or six shots, as well as six vials of blood for testing and evaluation. She was a shaking, screaming, sobbing, snot-covered mess when she was done. The poor baby. I felt so bad for her, and she was so good the whole time. She was sweet, and nice to the doctor and nurses and lab techs and everyone, and we were at the doctor for more than two hours because they called ahead to her specialists so we could "piggyback" their tests into the same blood draw we were doing.


I've stuck a photo in here of Melat in her bed at WACAP House (our agency's transition home--she was there for just four days or so, but it's such a nice place and I know she liked it).

I have a few other posts to write as I'm beginning to process my Ethiopia experience, so watch for the following:
*Ethiopia construction practices (even though it looks like Demolition--this one is for you Dave, Pat and John!)
*The Coffee Ceremony, espresso, and tradition
*Recommended reading (Mother Theresa's biography and Three Cups of Tea)
*Culture (warm, happy babies, exercise, and disciplined living)
*Wedding crashing (I will have to look to see if I've posted on this subject yet or not).

Also, videos coming soon!