So the economy has gotten to us. Today I was laid off from the company I've worked for for three years. I'm pretty bummed by that because I loved the company and will miss my colleagues, but feel liberated to now find the "right" job for me, as that one wasn't seeming like it fit. The opportunities for advancement that I had gone to that position for disappeared when the economy started going south, and what could have been a career was becoming a job.
I'm going to spend some time this weekend and next week determining my next strategy... do the "stay at home mom" thing (which has kind of been on my "wish list" but moving to one income-- while doable --seems scary to me). I could start my own business (I've had an idea in the back of my mind for a year now), or I could try to find another construction industry job or find something entirely different.
Alternatively, I could go back to school. That liberal arts degree hasn't exactly been bringin' home the bacon (a word to poly-sci majors....). Perhaps I could go back to that college aptitude test and become a mortitian? Now there's a job with room for advancement, easy customers and in a growth industry.
Anyhow, that's the latest--I'm currently jobless (unless I take the company's offer of a 20 hour per week position through the end of the year, which likely won't pay our childcare costs).
The kids are good--they're getting excited for the holidays. Tomorrow night I'm taking Destiny to a play at a local church and Sunday I'm taking both kids to the Langston Hughes "Black Nativity" which is a gospel production that I've wanted to see for years. Thursday we're going to the Nutcracker. The next few weeks will be a blizzard of activity.
Well, that's my story for now--I'll update as I have more ideas.
1 comment:
I'm sorry to hear that, Jess! I know you'll figure out what you want to do very quick. We're still hiring you know if you want to work nights/weekends ;) valleycom.org or the newly forming NORCOM in Bellevue - norcom.org!
Post a Comment