This story is pretty old, actually, almost three now. But it's one of my favorites and bears retelling here.
Destiny when she first moved here was a masterful bedtime staller. Temper tantrums, 35 drinks of water, bad dreams, monsters in the closet, alligators under the bed, "mom what does FILL IN THE BLANK HERE mean?," and all kinds of other interesting stalling techniques.
One night, she asked me if I was having a baby (observing my rather pouchy tummy). I explained that no, I was just in need of more exercise. The remainder of the conversation went like this:
DESTINY: Well, why don't you have your own babies instead of getting them from other people when they're already big?
Me: Dad and I decided that we didn't want or need to have a baby by birth, at least now, and that we wanted to be parents to kids who needed parents.
D: Does that mean you got your boobs tied? My mom in Florida got her boobs tied 'cause she had six kids and that's just way too many!!
Me: (now sensing stalling vs. adoption bonding) well, that's not exactly what it means. If you mean surgery, I didn't have any surgery. If you have more questions, you make a note and let me know tomorrow.
The next day at my friends' baby shower (I'd somehow forgotten the prior night's exchange) Destiny stood on a chair as my pregnant friend walked in and shouted (at typical Destiny volume) "Look mom! That lady definetly didn't get her boobs tied!!!"
If anyone has a good idea for a response to that, please advise. Seated between my friends' mother and her pastor's wife...I was speechless.
No comments:
Post a Comment