Monday, July 14, 2008

Preparing for Ethiopia

Many of our friends know we're currently trying to adopt again! We've recieved referall for our 3 year old daughter.

As of July 31st, if court goes well, she's officially ours and I'll be on my way to pick her up and bring her home! We can't wait! For right now it looks like I'll be traveling at the end of August.

Many people have asked what I plan to do while I'm there. First and foremost--bond with my new daughter!! Also, I've learned to make baloon animals in a number of different african animal shapes--and hats! If I have the opportunity, I'd like to make animals for the children.

But also, I have some other plans. I'll be carrying over donations to two organizations that are very dear to our hearts: AHOPE, a nonprofit orphange for children affected by HIV/AIDS. This is an amazing place, but like many similar organizations they need help getting access to some of the basics. I'll also be carrying donations to WACAP House, our agency's halfway-home for children who're placed but don't yet have the required paperwork/passports to go home to their new families.

If you'd like to send donations with me (and those traveling with me), here's a list of what is needed:

Cloth diapers, diaper pins and plastic diaper covers
durable plastic toys that don't make noise
Clothing and shoes for kids over 5 years old.
Hydrocortisone creme
Anti-Fungal creme (like Tinactin--for Ringworm)
Baby Lotion
Eucerin lotion
Hand sanitizer
Toothpaste/toothbrushes
Raincoats/Sweaters (fall/winter is setting into the Mountains in Addis Ababa)
Bedsheets, and lightweight blankets (things that can air dry in damp climates)
Baby spoons

We'll carry everything we can, and what we can't carry we'll send with another family going over in the next few months.

I'm hoping to post a video-blog while I'm there. Keep watching this site for info.

jess

No comments: