Friday, July 25, 2008

Romeo and Juliet

This Summer at the suggestion of friends we've attended two free "Shakespeare in the park" presentations. (Thanks T!)

The plays (A midsummer night's dream and Romeo and Juliet) were both masterful productions put on by the "Wooden O" company of Seattle.

It's a nice venue--picnic, sunshine, a play and lots of families with equally wiggly kids.

For some reason (completey not understood by me) Destiny is absolutely taken with these plays. Completely mesmerized (more so with the Comedy than the Tragedy but still, I was very impressed). We started with the comedy to get the feel for Shakespeare, old english and using one's imaginations with the limited sets (albeit they did a marvelous job!).

Tonight we saw Romeo and Juliet, and if you're familiar with the story, Romeo has a a habit in his soliquies to refer to himself in first person. Destiny leaned over to me and said "mom--isn't **he** Romeo?"

I said "yes, he is."

She said "Does he know, or should someone tell him?"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks Jess for letting us know! Addie was really impressed by Romeo and Juliet (though she said it was nothing like the movie). She told me at least 6 times about how cool the "blood" was (I heard something about machine guns?). I wish I could have been there! -Beth