Sunday, August 10, 2008

A child's perspective on alternative lifestyles

We know and socialise with many families with two moms or two dads. We're open minded and believe that good parents are more important than what color, gender or ability/disability the parents are, however, we're also a Christian family and hold values that aren't consistent with that lifestyle--we just feel it isn't our place to judge.

We were at an adoption agency event on Friday night where Destiny was having a great time with the two-year old son of two mommies. We all had a lovely visit and the kids all played great and when we finally all went our separate ways all the kids were tuckered out and getting fussy.

On the way home, Destiny says "That's just weird having two moms." I could tell there was more on her mind than that, and I was literally holding my breath trying to figure out how to talk about this subject (without first having the opportunity to "conference" with my husband on exactly how much we think is appropriate to discuss). As I'm turning blue and about to say "well..." Destiny heaved a heavy sigh and said "it's got to be rough, I mean it's just a double-whammy to get two moms."

I laughed in great relief. Yes, it is a double-whammy, and a double-blessing to have two parents who care and are concerned, and may occasionally nag or boss, or otherwise "incumber" a child by way of caring and responsibility.

No comments: