For those of you who know me well, especialy if you've known me the last ten years, I've packed on a few pounds. I was loosing them very well with hockey last year, but this adoption anxiety has given me a bad case of the munchies (I'm a terrible nervous eater) and I've gained some back.
I know this is temporary--I've lost it before and I'll loose it again, so I've not invested in a whole lot of big clothes. I've got a few standby functional outfits, but I don't like how anything fits. I can usually make things far more flattering by wearing cropped pants, above the knee skirts, and um.. "sculped" blouses.
However, I'm about to spend 21 days in a Muslim/Orthodox country, and folks, it just isn't going to be forgiving in the same way it is here, and baring even knees may be positively scandalous.
I'm trying to be respetful of other cultures, and my fashion sense may just have to be sacrificed. I love the way African women dress. The layers, beautiful colors and patterns, and scarves tight around their faces. These outfits are terribly flattering and the women are completely gorgeous.

Inspired, I went shopping, and tried on several long lovely skirts...and discovered that I looked like the fairy Merriweather from "Sleeping Beauty" (you know, the bell-shaped one).
I was laying in bed last night trying to invision what to pack. I've got a few good pairs of jeans that are figure flattering and appropriately modest, and some nice sweaters, but I fear I'm going to be looking more like the second photo (Babushka) than the first.

Oh well, I still get to go and experience Africa, and bring home my lovely new daughter. So alas, das vedanya for now friends!
1 comment:
Don't forget your bug spray!
Post a Comment